account
search
search

Use of troops in civilian case probed

  |   March 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM
FORT RUCKER, Ala., March 18 (UPI) -- The U.S. Army is investigating the deployment of active-duty military police in response to a killing spree in Alabama, military officials said Wednesday.

The deployment of 22 active duty troops and the provost marshal from Fort Rucker in response to the local civilian emergency in Samson is potentially a violation of federal law, Army Times reported.

The probe was ordered by Gen. Martin Dempsey, whose responsibilities as commanding general of Training and Doctrine Command include Fort Rucker.

The military command issued a release stating the purpose for sending the military police, the authority for doing so and the duties they performed "is the subject of an ongoing commander's inquiry," the newspaper said.

"In addition to determining the facts, this inquiry will also consider whether law, regulation and policy were followed," Dempsey said. "Until those facts are determined, it would be inappropriate to speculate or comment further."

Former Samson resident Michael McLendon, 28, killed 10 people during the March 10 shooting spree that ended when McLendon killed himself.

Samson Police Department dispatcher Jim Stromenger said the soldiers's help was welcome, but not requested by his department, the Clackamas Review reported.

A funeral was held Wednesday for Bruce Maloy, the 10th person killed by McLendon. No funerals had been scheduled the gunman or his mother, Lisa McLendon, who also was killed.

© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback