facebook
twitter
search
search

Italian prosecutor seeks action on Nazis

Feb. 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM

ROME, Feb. 11 (UPI) -- An Italian military prosecutor says the failure to jail 15 ex-Nazis convicted of life terms in Italy and now living in Germany and Austria is "serious problem."

Military Prosecutor General Fabrizio Fabretti said Wednesday the Italian Defense Ministry should intervene in the legal efforts to enforce European arrest warrants for the men, which have been issued without success so far, ANSA, the Italian news agency, reported.

Calling the situation "a serious problem," Fabretti urged the Italian Defense Ministry to request a formal move from the Justice Ministry in connection with the warrants, saying the Justice Ministry has not responded to offers from Germany to allow some of the ex-Nazis to serve the sentences in their own country.

Because of that, Fabretti said he felt "duty-bound to report the stalemate to the Defense Ministry," ANSA reported.

Defense Undersecretary Giuseppe Cossiga told the news agency he would inform Defense Minister Ignazio La Russa of the prosecutor's request.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Maine man dead after shooting firework off head, police say
Greeks vote overwhelmingly to reject creditors' bailout
Russian resupply spacecraft docks onto ISS to deliver needed provisions
'Serial stowaway' arrested again at Chicago's O'Hare, Midway airports
Third disturbance in four days erupts at Arizona prison