facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Caffeine blamed for student's death

Feb. 3, 2009 at 11:05 PM   |   Comments

HULL, England, Feb. 3 (UPI) -- Caffeine in energy drinks she consumed may have triggered a fatal heart problem in a British student who collapsed while dancing, a doctor said at an inquest.

Chloe Leach, 21, died Sept. 30 at the Sugarmill Club in Hull.

Dr. Ian Scott, who performed the post-mortem, said Leach had an unusually large heart, The Daily Telegraph reported. She had been diagnosed with epilepsy, and Scott said she suffered from QT Syndrome, abnormal electrical activity in the heart.

Leach had consumed four Red Bulls and had also been drinking a cocktail that contains vodka and some caffeine. Scott testified that the caffeine probably triggered her QT Syndrome.

Scott said he thought at first Leach might have been using drugs but testing found only her anti-epilepsy medication.

Leach was a social work student at the University of Lincoln's Hull campus.

Topics: Ian Scott
© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Texas driver allegedly kills girlfriend while in middle of a sex act Texas driver allegedly kills girlfriend while in middle of a sex act
2
John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims
3
Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS
4
Nikki Haley lead down to 10 points in S.C. re-election Nikki Haley lead down to 10 points in S.C. re-election
5
BAE Systems wins naval support contract BAE Systems wins naval support contract
Trending News
x
Feedback