facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Italian pols back off right-to-die dispute

Dec. 23, 2008 at 12:18 PM   |   Comments

STRASBOURG, France, Dec. 23 (UPI) -- Italian officials say they are taking a hands-off approach after a European court rejected efforts to block a father's efforts to let his comatose daughter die.

Italy's ANSA news agency Tuesday said Beppino Englaro has been unable to find a clinic that will facilitate the death of his daughter, Eluana, who has been in a coma for 17 years.

"Personally I hope that the woman continues to live, but I can't interfere with the decisions of her father,'' said Edouard Ballaman, president of the regional council of the Northern League.

The European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg Monday rejected an appeal by pro-life organizations trying to block Englaro's efforts on the grounds that only immediate family could be involved in the decision.

ANSA said Italy's health minister warned clinics last week not to take part in the removal of the woman's feeding tube.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS
2
John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims
3
Boston Herald apologizes for 'racist' Obama cartoon Boston Herald apologizes for 'racist' Obama cartoon
4
Loose mountain lion spotted in Brentwood Loose mountain lion spotted in Brentwood
5
Nikki Haley lead down to 10 points in S.C. re-election Nikki Haley lead down to 10 points in S.C. re-election
Trending News
x
Feedback