facebook
twitter
search
search

Fort Dix jurors resume deliberations

Dec. 21, 2008 at 1:24 PM

CAMDEN, N.J., Dec. 21 (UPI) -- Jurors in the trial of five Muslim immigrants accused of planning a terror attack on Fort Dix in New Jersey resumed deliberations for a fifth day Sunday.

The federal panel couldn't reach a verdict against the five men Saturday but told U.S. District Judge Robert Kugler they were making progress toward a decision, The Star-Ledger newspaper in Newark, N.J., reported.

The five are accused of planning last year to invade Fort Dix under cover of a pizza delivery and kill as many U.S. soldiers as possible. Defense attorneys contend the case was concocted by FBI informants paid to infiltrate a group of well-meaning friends and badger them into a plot.

The jury has asked for testimony regarding one suspect, Serdar Tatar, who worked at a 7-Eleven in Philadelphia but whose father ran a New Jersey pizzeria that delivered orders to Fort Dix, the newspaper said.

Prosecutors say Tatar gave an informant a map of the inside of the base knowing the man wanted to use it to plot an attack. Defense attorneys, however, referred to a police officer who testified that Tatar had reported the incident to him as possible terrorism, The Star-Ledger said.

Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korean women embracing fashion of outside world, report says
Youngest murderer convicted as adult to be released
Coast Guard expands 'aggressive' search to Georgia for missing Florida teens
Canada builds on LNG export potential
AAA: National gas prices down, though volatility endures