UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Witness says Fort Dix suspect sought help

|
 
Published: Nov. 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM

CAMDEN, N.J., Nov. 27 (UPI) -- One of the men facing charges for an alleged terror plot targeting New Jersey's Fort Dix sought out police assistance on the matter, a witness alleges.

Philadelphia Police Sgt. Sean Dandridge has testified that suspect Serdar Tatar approached him in November 2006 and informed him about some suspicious interest in the U.S. Army base in Burlington County, N.J., the Philadelphia Inquirer said Thursday.

"He told me he was approached by a gentleman he met in his mosque … and the gentleman asked him for a map of Fort Dix," Dandridge testified in a Camden, N.J., federal courtroom Wednesday.

"I just told (Tatar), of course, don't give the map to anyone," Dandridge added.

Tatar's family had maps of Fort Dix available at their pizzeria near the U.S. Army site and prosecutors have alleged the terror suspects were planning on gaining access to the base using a pizza-delivery pass, the Inquirer said.

Prosecutors countered Dandridge's testimony regarding Tatar, one of five suspects in custody for the alleged terror plot, alleging the defendant merely had been attempting to learn if authorities knew anything about the planned attack.

Topics: Fort Dix, Serdar Tatar
© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Top News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Carnival Cruise line continues to lose paying customers
Tamerlan Tsarnaev has been laid to rest at an undisclosed location, although Zak Baggins and the...
I f o r o n e w e l c o m e o u r m e n i n g i t i s c a r r y i n g g i a n t s n a i l o v e...
The number of people applying to live on Mars is now up to 78,000. Strangely, every application...
Jimmy Carter named the most trusted politician in the country. All the rest are pretty much tied...
Texas Congressman Steve Stockman (R-ifle), who wants to arm fetuses, is raffling off a Bushmaster...