facebook
twitter
search
search

Pentagon urges no more troop drawdowns

Sept. 6, 2008 at 9:03 AM

WASHINGTON, Sept. 6 (UPI) -- The U.S. Department of Defense is urging President George Bush to delay further drawdowns of U.S. troops in Iraq, White House officials said.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates delivered the recommendations to Bush this week, in which military officials say security gains in Iraq are too tenuous to continue a troop withdrawal that began earlier this year, the Washington Post reported Saturday.

The recommendation came as a compromise between those who wanted to continue the withdrawals and those, such as Gen. David Petraeus, the U.S. commander in Iraq, who were worried by the postponement of provincial elections initially scheduled for this month, lingering sectarian conflicts and other Iraqi problems, the Post said.

Under the plan, up to 7,500 of the 146,000 U.S. troops now in Iraq could be removed by the time Bush leaves office in January, but they would likely be re-deployed to Afghanistan, sources said.

"The president is now considering his options," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Putin reassures PM Alexis Tsipras after 'no' referendum vote in Greece
South Korea rescues 5 North Korean sailors
F-16, Cessna planes collide mid-air in South Carolina
Donald Trump deletes retweet about Jeb Bush's wife
Houston-based LINN leaves Texas shale