Poisoning suspected in dog's death

Aug. 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM

BURNABY, British Columbia, Aug. 18 (UPI) -- Canadian police suspect a pet dog that died mysteriously in the Vancouver area of British Columbia was poisoned in a public park.

The dog's death Friday sparked public warnings to dog owners in Burnaby, east of Vancouver, to keep their pets on a leash and try to prevent them from picking up anything with their mouths, CTV News reported Monday.

The dog was one of two French mastiffs being walked in a park by owner Jamie Walton. The male dog, named Jada, became very sick and started choking soon after getting home, and Walton rushed it to a veterinarian.

The animal died 90 minutes later, and the unidentified veterinarian called the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, CTV News said.

"It is believed that the dog may have picked up a stick while in the park and been poisoned by a substance on the stick," RCMP Cpl. Alexandra Mulvihill told the broadcaster.

In June in Toronto, two dogs died and four others became sick after someone scattered poisoned pieces of bread in an off-leash area of a large park. No one has been charged in connection with that incident.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kurds plan to carve state out of Iraq after fighting stops, leaders say
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses
Van hauling fireworks catches fire on I-15 near California-Nevada border
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot
Sean 'Diddy' Combs avoids felony rap for attacking UCLA coach