facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Internet curbing denied by IOC official

Aug. 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
BEIJING, Aug. 2 (UPI) -- International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge says Olympic officials have not been curbing Internet access regarding the Beijing Games.

While certain Olympic officials have said they were aware certain politically sensitive Web sites have been blocked, Rogge said his organization has had no part in such restrictions, the BBC reported Saturday.

"I am adamant in saying there has been no deal whatsoever to accept restrictions," the IOC head said.

The Chinese government had previously promised unfettered Internet access to all foreign journalists despite the country's reputation as a strict Internet controller.

Meanwhile, Rogge said a total of 17 Olympic athletes tested positive in drug tests prior to the international competition.

The IOC official told the BBC the tests were part of a focused effort by Olympic organizers aimed at uncovering banned drugs.

"This is the result of a deliberate strategy and policy. These are 17 cheats who will not falsify the competition," he said.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback