facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Candle starts blaze in home

July 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM   |   Comments

NORTHGLENN, Colo., July 30 (UPI) -- A Colorado woman and her daughter were using a candle to light their home when the flame spread, setting the house on fire, officials said.

North Metro Fire Rescue spokeswoman, Wendy Krajewski, said the mother and daughter were having "financial struggles" and their power was turned off, the Rocky Mountain News reported.

"That's what ended up being the cause of the fire. Someone forgot to extinguish a candle. It tipped over and the fire spread," Krajewski said.

Krajewski said fire officials were notified the Northglenn, Colo., townhouse was burning early Wednesday. Officials said they extinguished the fire and removed dangerous walls from the home.

The blaze caused about $45,000 in damages on the second floor of the townhouse, the newspaper said.

The mother and daughter have moved in with a nearby family member, Krajewski said.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Father of five children thought they would kill him, feed him to dogs Father of five children thought they would kill him, feed him to dogs
2
New video shows missing UVA student the morning she disappeared New video shows missing UVA student the morning she disappeared
3
Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014 Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014
4
Peshmerga forces kill senior Islamic State commander Peshmerga forces kill senior Islamic State commander
5
Texas woman set for execution for starving girlfriend's son Texas woman set for execution for starving girlfriend's son
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback