facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Judge tosses Sept. 11 burial lawsuit

July 8, 2008 at 7:30 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, July 8 (UPI) -- A federal judge in New York has thrown out a lawsuit that sought to move tons of World Trade Center debris from a landfill to a burial site.

The suit, brought by 17 family members of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that brought down the World Trade Center towers, claimed the city had improperly disposed of the debris without first removing hundreds of human remains, the New York Post reported Tuesday.

"Not every wrong can be addressed through the judicial process," Judge Alvin Hellerstein said in his ruling. "The grave harm suffered by the plaintiffs in this case is undeniable. But the jurisdiction of a court is limited."

The plaintiffs expressed disappointment with the ruling.

"We're extremely disappointed. The 9/11 family members fought to rectify an egregious wrong that occurred regarding the disposal of human remains," said Norman Siegel, a lawyer for WTC Families for a Proper Burial.

"We are not prepared to leave hundreds of human remains of 9/11 victims on top of a garbage dump as their final resting place," Siegel said.

The city had argued that many bodies had been removed from the debris and any human remains still among the rubble would be too small for identification.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended Stories
Most Popular
1
Who is the 'Woman in Black' roaming U.S. highways?
2
Oklahoma shook by three earthquakes in less than 48 hours
3
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
4
One cop issued 80 percent of the marijuana tickets in Seattle this year
5
Comic-Con cosplayer sexually assaulted, beaten and left in gutter
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback