facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Child burned by indoor grill fireball

May 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, May 19 (UPI) -- A 9-year-old boy was severely burned by a fireball sparked by alcohol tossed on a smoldering gas grill, New York City police said.

Josh Blank suffered burns over more than 70 percent of his body after a woman, Rhonda Kavee, doused the grill with alcohol in an attempt get a fire started, The New York Daily News reported Monday.

The boy was reported in critical but stable condition at New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell.

Kavee was having a birthday party for son at her Manhattan dental office and was trying to light a grill so the children could toast marshmallows, investigators said.

Police said heavy rains had forced the planned cookout indoors.

A source told the newspaper police considered the incident an accident but were working with the Manhattan district attorney's office to determine if any charges are warranted.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
New Jersey man caught selling 'Ebola' heroin New Jersey man caught selling 'Ebola' heroin
2
Destroyers with ballistic missile defense capability heading to Japan Destroyers with ballistic missile defense capability heading to Japan
3
Kimberly Guilfoyle: young women should be 'excused' from voting to go on Tinder Kimberly Guilfoyle: young women should be 'excused' from voting to go on Tinder
4
Female gym teacher busted for repeated sex with student Female gym teacher busted for repeated sex with student
5
American fighting with Kurds in Syria: Civilians burned in chemical attack American fighting with Kurds in Syria: Civilians burned in chemical attack
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback