account
search
search

Iran rejects future talks with U.S.

  |   May 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM
TEHRAN, May 5 (UPI) -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry said on its Web site it would participate in no more talks on Iraq while U.S. forces are fighting in Sadr City.

There have been three meetings on Iraq security involving the United States and Iran, which has been accused of training and financing Shiite militias -- some in camps near Tehran.

U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker, who participated in the talks last year, said they had produced no change in Iran's behavior.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said in a report on the Web site Monday the talks would be ineffective as long as U.S. forces "occupy" Iraq and bomb residential areas "indiscriminately," The New York Times reported.

"Given the current circumstances, holding the next round of talks would have no result and makes no sense," Hosseini said.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback