GAZA, April 13 (UPI) -- A top Israeli general avoided a Palestinian mortar attack Sunday in the western Negev region, officials said.
One of three mortar shells launched from northern Gaza struck about 65 feet from Brig. Gen. Yoav Galant, chief of Israel's Defense Forces Southern Command, and other officials with whom he was touring the region, including Haim Yalin, head of the Eshkol Regional Council, Ynetnews.com reported. No deaths were reported.
"This tour has been pre-planned and was aimed at demonstrating what local farmers had to deal with on a daily basis. This barrage demonstrated very well what their life's routine looks like," Yalin said.
Previously this month, Palestinian gunmen shot at the convoy of Internal Security Minister Avi Dichter in southern Israel, wounding Dichter's assistant.