WASHINGTON, Feb. 15 (UPI) -- The Bush administration has reportedly agreed to give U.N. inspectors documents supporting claims that Iran was developing nuclear weapons four years ago.
The New York Times cited unnamed U.S. and foreign diplomats in its report Friday.
Mohammed ElBaradei, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, is scheduled to release a report on Iran's past nuclear activities, possibly as early as next week. ElBaradei argues that Iran should be allowed to look at the documents that the United States says prove that the country did have a nuclear weapons program that was suspended.
How much of the documentation the United States would allow Iran to examine is unclear, the Times said. It includes information on a laptop computer smuggled out of Iran in 2004 and given to the Central Intelligence Agency.
U.S. President George Bush maintains that a recent National Intelligence Estimate that said Iran has no current nuclear weapons program shows the country is still a threat. Bush and his top advisers argue that the NIE provides the strongest documentation so far that the country was developing weapons and could easily resume its program.