Aruba reopens missing woman case

Feb. 4, 2008 at 9:59 AM   |   0 comments

ORANJESTAD, Aruba, Feb. 4 (UPI) -- A judge in Aruba has ordered a new inquiry into the disappearance of an Alabama teenager in light of a Dutch television news report.

Chief prosecutor Hans Mos said the report about 18-year-old Natalee Holloway in which a man described how her body was dumped from a boat in May 2005 was sufficient to reopen the investigation, CNN reported.

Joran van der Sloot, who is studying law in the Netherlands, is heard in the report describing how he and Holloway had sex on the beach after a night of heavy drinking. He said she went into convulsions and died, and a friend agreed to dump her body at sea.

Van der Sloot has admitted making the remarks, but said last week he had been lying when an Aruban reporter secretly recorded a conversation.

"That is what he wanted to hear, so I told him what he wanted to hear," Van der Sloot told a Dutch television program.

Mos did not order Van der Sloot be detained in the Netherlands, although the Office of the Public Prosecutor in Oranjestad said it would seek his arrest, the report said.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
Most Popular
Photos
Video
x
Feedback