facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Call made for more Sept. 11 health funds

Jan. 28, 2008 at 11:27 AM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- New York congressional House members called on President George Bush to increase funding for first responders to the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

At a weekend news conference, Democratic Reps. Carolyn Maloney and Jerrold Nadler said Bush to should restart a proposed national processing center that was scrapped last month, the New York Sun reported Monday.

The program would have consolidated funding of health programs for emergency workers who responded to hijacked aircraft attacks that felled the World Trade Center's two towers.

Maloney referred to Bush's scheduled State of the Union address Monday night, but said she didn't expect any good news for emergency workers.

"The president will probably mention 9/11 on Monday, but he's unlikely to announce any aid for the heroes who rushed to New York from all around the country to save the lives of others," she said, at the Sunday news conference.

Scores of workers have since been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and various respiratory ailments from working in the debris, the report said.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended Stories
Most Popular
1
Bill Clinton claims he could have killed Osama Bin Laden
2
Bachmann: Obama wants to use child immigrants for medical experiments
3
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
4
Utah man teaches 'homophones', fired for promoting gay agenda
5
One cop issued 80 percent of the marijuana tickets in Seattle this year
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback