facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Teens burned in curling iron explosion

Dec. 19, 2007 at 8:47 AM   |   Comments

LLANELLI, Wales, Dec. 19 (UPI) -- Four teens in south Wales were critically burned when a butane-powered curling iron heater exploded as they prepped for Christmas parties.

The blaze from the explosion late Monday collapsed a bedroom roof where the girls were reportedly trying out hairstyles for holiday parties using hair-curling tongs heated by a small butane canister, The Times of London said. The girls rushed from the home with clothes on fire.

"Looking at the state of the building, it is amazing that anyone got out alive," local councilor John Jenkins told The Times. "It's a Christmas miracle that the girls survived."

Sisters Anya and Kira Evans and two friends, Nadine Fardon and Kimberly Patterson, all ages 14 or 15, were undergoing treatment at a hospital burn unit.

Topics: John Jenkins
© 2007 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Bill O'Reilly lashes out at Colbert for mocking his IS strategy Bill O'Reilly lashes out at Colbert for mocking his IS strategy
2
Six Flags fight leaves boy critically injured, may have been organized on Twitter Six Flags fight leaves boy critically injured, may have been organized on Twitter
3
Mayor of LA suburb shot, killed inside home Mayor of LA suburb shot, killed inside home
4
Wisc. reporter told 'not to speak to crowd' at Michelle Obama event Wisc. reporter told 'not to speak to crowd' at Michelle Obama event
5
Kiev slams Russia for bringing criminal complaints against Ukraine's armed forces Kiev slams Russia for bringing criminal complaints against Ukraine's armed forces
Trending News
x
Feedback