account
search
search

Father finds his son in a vat of acid

  |   Sept. 24, 2007 at 4:55 PM
SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 24 (UPI) -- An 18-year-old man was found dead in Redwood City, Calif., after falling into a waist-high vat of sulfuric acid.

Fernando Jimenez Gonzalez was found by his father who went looking for him after he failed to return home when his shift at Coastal Circuits, which makes circuit boards, ended, Sgt. Steve Dowden of Redwood City Police told the San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News.

The teen was one of two employees working overnight at the manufacturing plant, the newspaper said.

Coastal Circuits Vice President Laura Boozer declined to comment on why Gonzalez was at work so late as well as on why police believe he wasn't wearing safety gear for his face, as is recommended for those working close with hazardous chemicals.

"This has been a devastating experience for all of those involved, including the family -- we're trying to find out more conclusively what happened so we can share it with the media," Boozer told the Mercury News.

Topics: Mercury News
© 2007 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback