facebook
twitter
search
search

U.S. takes steps to boost food safety

May 5, 2007 at 4:57 PM

WASHINGTON, May 5 (UPI) -- The United States is developing new procedures to ensure food safety following the recent wave of pet poisonings blamed on food products made in China.

Dr. David Acheson of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Friday said he was considering asking Congress for more funding and expanded legal authority to prevent another incidence of contaminated foods entering the United States.

Acheson told the Baltimore Sun that globalization is here to stay so the United States needs to bolster its initial line of defense against food contamination either by accident or an act of terrorism.

The moves come in the wake of numerous pet deaths believed caused by wheat and rice gluten imported from China that contained lethal levels of melamine. Acheson said all sources of the Chinese material had been tracked down and U.S. consumers need no longer be concerned.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korean diplomats sending their children to mental hospitals
Catholic Church in Norway ordered to pay $5.1 million for fraud
Report: North Korea executed over 1,300 people
Shark bite confirmed off North Carolina shore
Ex-Auschwitz guard Oskar Groening seeks forgiveness from God