WASHINGTON, Jan. 8 (UPI) -- Two days before its release, U.S. President George Bush's new plan for Iraq is being called unworkable by Pentagon officials, Capital Hill Blue reports.
Reports since Friday indicate Bush intends to send more U.S. troops to the Baghdad region to try to subdue the Sunni and Shia sectarian fighting, as well as train Iraqis to be self-sufficient in security.
Last week, the Joint Chiefs of Staff sent Bush a memo saying the military does not have enough forces to support an increase.
Retired Army Lt. Gen. Jay Garner, the first U.S. official in charge of postwar Baghdad, also said he didn't see much hope for unifying Iraqi forces.
"I don't know that the Iraqi government has ever demonstrated ability to lead the country, and we shouldn't be surprised," Garner told the newspaper. "You'll never find, in my lifetime, one man that all the Iraqis will coalesce around."