facebook
twitter
search
search

Hillary Clinton defends husband's record

Sept. 27, 2006 at 8:01 AM

WASHINGTON, Sept. 27 (UPI) -- U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D.-N.Y., is defending her husband's record on national security as he didn't get the warning U.S. President George Bush did.

Speaking Tuesday on Capitol Hill, the senator lashed back at conservative remarks that began Sunday claiming her husband didn't take the threat of al-Qaida attacks seriously enough.

"I'm certain that if my husband and his national security team had been shown a classified report entitled 'Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States,' he would have taken it more seriously," she said.

Former President Bill Clinton took the offensive on "Fox News Sunday" when the interviewer suggested his administration had underestimated the threat.

Clinton said the Bush administration had demoted his appointed terrorism czar, Richard Clarke, and said Clarke had argued for aggressive action against al-Qaida and its leader, Osama bin Laden before the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Report: North Korea executed over 1,300 people
North Korean diplomats sending their children to mental hospitals
Demand for mobile phones in North Korea means two per household
Catholic Church in Norway ordered to pay $5.1 million for fraud
Ex-Auschwitz guard Oskar Groening seeks forgiveness from God