Three die at California ski resort

April 7, 2006 at 7:12 AM   |   Comments

LOS ANGELES, April 7 (UPI) -- A fall or toxic fumes caused the death of three ski patrol members who fell into a geothermal vent at a popular resort 300 miles north of Los Angeles.

The three were part of a patrol fencing off a crevice following a blizzard at the Mammoth Mountain ski area, The Los Angeles Times said. Seven other people were injured in the incident.

One of the dead, a researcher from the University of California-Santa Barbara, was an expert in snow hydrology and remote sensing of snow. He was killed when he jumped into the vent in an effort to help team members, the report said.

The vents, which emit a rotten-egg smell, are relatively harmless in summer when the gas dissipates into the atmosphere.

"The problem comes in the winter when the snow builds up and covers this thing," David Hill, the scientist in charge of the U.S. Geological Survey's observatory in the Mammoth area, told the Times. He said the heated gas can melt snow, forming a cavity below the snow surface, endangering skiers.

Topics: David Hill
© 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
Ukraine: Troop movements will no longer be publicized after Russian attacks
High-ranking Chicago police officer charged with putting gun in man's mouth
Federal judge strikes down polygamy ban in Utah
Putin mocks trapped Ukrainian soldiers, urges rebels to release them
Islamic State claims mass execution of 250 Syrian soldiers
Trending News