account
search
search

Former Demjanjuk supporter sues for $2M

  |   Jan. 23, 2006 at 10:18 PM
CLEVELAND, Jan. 23 (UPI) -- A man who testified for accused Nazi John Demjanjuk has sued for $2 million he says he spent helping the alleged camp guard regain his U.S. citizenship.

Jerome Brentar claims that the Demjanjuk family promised him repayment, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported. He spent years interviewing concentration camp survivors and guards and testified for Demjanjuk.

Demjanjuk was stripped of his citizenship and deported to Israel where he was convicted and sentenced to die. But he successfully appealed his conviction and was allowed to return to the United States.

A judge recently ordered his deportation.

Brentar testified that he believed a camp pass identifying Demjanjuk as a camp guard had been forged by the KGB, the Soviet secret service.

His own views have raised questions, the Plain Dealer said. Brentar has reportedly said that the concentration camps were set up by Jews and that Zyklon B, the gas used in the death chambers, was intended to kill lice, not people.

© 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback