account
search
search

Judge stops Guantanamo terror trial

  |   Nov. 16, 2005 at 9:28 AM
WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 (UPI) -- The terror trial of an Australian man being held at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been ordered stopped by a U.S. federal judge.

Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly of Federal District Court issued the order to stay the proceedings against David Hicks, citing the Supreme Court's decision last week to review the legality of the military commissions being used to try Guantanamo detainees with war crimes.

Hicks and eight other Guantanamo detainees have been charged with war crimes for their roles within the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2001.

The military commission that sits at Guantanamo was scheduled to hear motions in the Hicks case beginning Friday.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard told reporters in Sydney the delay was caused entirely by Hicks' own lawyers.

"The latest delay is not the fault of the American government or the Australian government," Howard said. "The latest delay is a result of legal action taken by Mr. Hicks's lawyers."

© 2005 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback