facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Police deny $1M offer over shooting

Aug. 20, 2005 at 5:33 PM   |   Comments

LONDON, Aug. 20 (UPI) -- Police in London say they have made no offer to settle for $1 million with the family of a Brazilian man shot by police who mistook him for a terrorist.

Jean Charles de Menezes was gunned down by officers in the Stockwell tube station the day after the July 27 failed terrorist bombings. At the time, police said the Brazilian electrician had acted in a suspicious manner, but that account has been contradicted by a leaked investigators' report.

"The only discussions we have had so far with the family of Jean Charles de Menezes have been about initial expenses," a police statement said, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The Daily Mail reported John Yates, a deputy assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, had flown to Brazil to make the $1 million offer.

"We will not be bought off. We will not be silenced. This is not about money, this is about justice," parents Matozinho and Maria de Menezes reportedly said.

© 2005 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked
2
Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison
3
40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike 40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike
4
Man beaten to death by barbell in San Francisco gym Man beaten to death by barbell in San Francisco gym
5
Climate change march attracts hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers and others Climate change march attracts hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers and others
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback