account
search
search

Call made for Scotland Yard chief to quit

  |   Aug. 18, 2005 at 10:23 AM
LONDON, Aug. 18 (UPI) -- The family of a Brazilian man mistakenly killed as a bombing suspect by London police is calling for the head of Scotland Yard to resign.

One member of the victim's family described the July 22 police shooting in a subway as "murder" and called for the officers who killed Jean Charles de Menezes to be "sent to jail for life," while family supporters say Scotland Yard chief Ian Blair must step down.

Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, was tailed by plainclothes officers who said he was acting suspiciously and wearing a bulky coat in warm weather.

But an ITV News report included pictures of Menezes' body wearing a light denim jacket. The network also reported from leaked police documents that officers had been shown photographs of bombing suspects, although Menezes didn't look like any of them.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has promised a "thorough and impartial" investigation into the events, but the investigation could take years, Sky News said.

© 2005 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback