MIAMI, May 24 (UPI) -- A Miami-based organization is offering a $1 million reward for information leading to an indictment against the brother of Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
Brothers to the Rescue President Jose Basulto told the Miami Herald the award would be paid for information that leads to the indictment of Raul Castro on drug trafficking and murder charges. The underlying plan, the Herald said, is to upset a possible succession of power from the 78-year-old dictator to his brother.
The group claims Raul Castro was behind the shooting down of two small planes off Cuba's coast in 1996. Four members of Brothers to the Rescue, who were searching for Cuban refugees, died in the incident. A plane carrying Basulto escaped the attack.
A former U.S. attorney in Miami, Guy Lewis, told the Herald there was also evidence the younger Castro had been involved in drug trafficking into the United States.
The reward money would come from a $1.7 million judgment against the Cuban government awarded in January to Basulto.