facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Alzheimer's patient dies in fire

July 27, 2004 at 4:25 PM   |   Comments

SUNNY ISLES BEACH, Fla., July 27 (UPI) -- An Alzheimer's patient died in a fire at her Sunny Isles, Fla., apartment where she was restrained in a chair to help stabilize her broken hip.

The Monday fire was set by her 8-year-old grandson who was playing with a cigarette lighter, The Miami Herald reported Tuesday.

Manuela Morales, 88, died as flames and smoke swept through her fifth-floor apartment home in south Florida, keeping her family at bay.

"They tired to rescue her, but were overwhelmed by the smoke and had to get out," said Detective Robert Williams, a police spokesman.

Williams said the boy was playing with a candle and the lighter when he started the fire. His older brother rushed into the room and tried to rescue Morales, but he couldn't free her from the ropes tying her to the chair.

Family members said the victim was immobilized with rope to keep her from injuring herself.

© 2004 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine
2
Lindsey Graham fears ISIS will come kill us all, in a not at all hysterical way Lindsey Graham fears ISIS will come kill us all, in a not at all hysterical way
3
Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no' Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no'
4
Census: number of Americans living in poverty down, still above 45 million Census: number of Americans living in poverty down, still above 45 million
5
Shark attacks surfer at Santa Cruz beach Shark attacks surfer at Santa Cruz beach
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback