UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Father of Berg speaks out

|
 
Published: June 5, 2004 at 6:14 PM

WASHINGTON, June 5 (UPI) -- The father of Nick Berg, the American beheaded by Al-Qaeda operatives in Iraq last month, spoke out against the Bush administration's policies at a protest outside the White House on Saturday.

Michael Berg urged Americans to "act now to stop war and end racism" and to "take non-violent direct action" to "let our leaders know (that) in this democracy, they have to do a better job of representing what we, the American people want, and what we want is peace now."

He said he held "the Bush administration accountable for denying (his) son his civil rights for the thirteen days of his illegal detention", and accused them of 'callous behaviour" which contributed to Nick's death. "(They are)violating the heart of the constitution of the United States of America," he said.

The statements came at a rally in Lafayette Park organised by the A.N.S.W.E.R.Coalition, accusing Bush and Rumsfeld of war crimes. After addresses by several speakers, the protesters began a march to the house of Donald Rumsfeld, presently in Singapore.

Protesters shouted "terrorist," "war criminal" and "torturer" towards an empty White House, the President currently in Europe for D-Day celebrations.

There appeared to be around 3000 demonstrators present, although organizers were unable to give a reliable estimate.

Topics: Donald Rumsfeld, Michael Berg, Nick Berg
© 2004 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Top News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Carnival Cruise line continues to lose paying customers
Tamerlan Tsarnaev has been laid to rest at an undisclosed location, although Zak Baggins and the...
I f o r o n e w e l c o m e o u r m e n i n g i t i s c a r r y i n g g i a n t s n a i l o v e...
The number of people applying to live on Mars is now up to 78,000. Strangely, every application...
Jimmy Carter named the most trusted politician in the country. All the rest are pretty much tied...
Texas Congressman Steve Stockman (R-ifle), who wants to arm fetuses, is raffling off a Bushmaster...