facebook
twitter
search
search

Sept. 11 suspects may face military trial

Jan. 15, 2004 at 7:25 AM

WASHINGTON, Jan. 15 (UPI) -- FBI Director Robert Mueller said he expects the suspects in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to be tried by military tribunals.

Mueller made the remarks at a Wednesday luncheon, but an aide said later Mueller "did not intend to imply" decisions had been made about alleged mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed or the other accused al-Qaida conspirators, the Washington Post said Thursday.

Mueller's remarks bolster previous indications the government is reluctant to attempt more criminal prosecutions like the one against alleged al-Qaida operative Zacarias Moussaoui, who has frustrated federal officials with his courtroom antics and has brought the case to a halt with demands to call the alleged conspirators as witnesses.

A Pentagon spokesman said no decisions have been made about trying Mohammed or any other suspects in the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. A White House spokesman declined to comment.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Einstein vindicated: Scientists find gravitational waves
Vatican: Bishops not required to report abuse to police
Nicola Griffin to appear in Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue at 56
Dementia rates decline in U.S., researchers unsure why
'El Chapo' drug empire's alleged financial operator arrested in Mexico