According to David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, an unidentified source told him the Cowboys have no intention to visit with or sign Manziel for now.
The Cowboys won't consider Manziel "until he gets his life back in order," the source told the newspaper.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones considered drafting Johnny Football in the 2014 NFL Draft before being talked out of it. Manziel was selected by the Browns with the 22nd overall pick.
Manziel, 23, remains under investigation in Dallas to determine whether he assaulted his former girlfriend on Jan. 30. The NFL is investigating if he violated its personal conduct policy in that incident.
Dallas police have taken the domestic violence case to a grand jury to decide whether Manziel should be indicted on misdemeanor assault charges.
Manziel voluntarily checked himself into a treatment center in January 2015 and spent more than two months in rehab.
Manziel's father said last month his son would not follow the suggestion from the family to return to rehab.
"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday,'' Paul Manziel told The Dallas Morning News in February.
Manziel appeared in 14 games with eight starts over two seasons with the Browns. The Texas A&M product and former Heisman Trophy winner completed 147 of 258 passes for 1,675 yards with seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. He added 259 rushing yards and one score.