Three Michigan State football players have been charged with sexual assault for an alleged on-campus attack involving a female student that occurred in January, according to a statement from the Ingham County (Mich.) prosecutor Monday.
"I have decided to authorize sexual assault charges against the three persons whose warrants were requested by the MSU Police," prosecutor Carol Siemon said. "We are alleging that on the night of Jan. 16, those three persons sexually assaulted a woman in an East Lansing apartment on campus."
Siemon's office did not release the names of the players who will be charged. The prosecutor's office typically does not release the names of those charged with crimes until they have been arraigned. The three players are expected to be arraigned Tuesday.
Michigan State announced Feb. 9 that three players and a staffer "associated with the football program" had been suspended while the university's police department investigated sexual assault allegations.
Siemon said in her release Monday that the former staff member suspended by the university will not face criminal charges.
"Our office also reviewed charges against an individual who previously worked for the Michigan State University football program," Siemon said in the statement. "This did not concern any allegation of criminal sexual conduct. After review, I have declined to issue charges and no warrant will be issued. It is our practice not to release names of suspects in denied cases."
Siemon's decision on Monday comes on the heels of the university's board meeting with football coach Mark Dantonio and athletic director Mark Hollis, with the board issuing a statement in support of the two.