facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

SEC, ESPN cancel TV network announcement after Boston Marathon deaths

April 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM   |   Comments

ATLANTA, April 15 (UPI) -- A news conference called by SEC Commissioner Mike Slive and broadcaster ESPN was canceled Monday in the wake of the Boston Marathon explosions.

Slive and ESPN President John Skipper were to appear together in Atlanta to announce what was expected to be a new, SEC-branded college sports television network.

But in a joint statement, the pair said they had postponed the event after a pair of explosions ripped through a crowd of spectators at the marathon, killing at least three people.

"In light of the tragedy in Boston today, we have decided to postpone Tuesday's SEC/ESPN press conference in Atlanta," they said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by these horrible events."

The Boston Globe reported 107 people had been injured, many of them severely, in the afternoon explosions at a busy intersection where thousands of people were lined up to watch the 117th Boston Marathon.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
ESPN reports on Michael Sam's showering habits, gets slammed
2
West Division showdown pits Eskimos against Stampeders
3
NFL upholds 1-year suspension of Cleveland Browns' Josh Gordon
4
National League Game Summary - St. Louis at Pittsburgh
5
2014 FIBA World Cup Rosters
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback