facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Miami Hurricanes to refuse bowl berth

Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM   |   Comments

CORAL GABLES, Fla., Nov. 19 (UPI) -- University of Miami officials said Monday the Florida school will again voluntarily refuse a post-season bowl invitation while an NCAA investigation continues.

The Miami Hurricanes improved to 6-5 Saturday with a win over South Florida. That gave the team the minimum of victories needed to be considered for a bowl. Miami could also qualify for the ACC Championship game with a win this week.

But school officials said the team was being pulled from consideration from both the ACC title game and a bowl berth. Miami made the same decision last year.

"Considerable deliberation and discussion based on the status of the NCAA inquiry went into the decision-making process and, while acknowledging the impact that the decision will have on current student-athletes, coaches, alumni and fans, a determination was made that voluntarily withholding the football team from a second post-season was not only a prudent step for the university to take but will also allow for the football program and university to move forward in the most expedited manner possible," the school said in a statement.

The NCAA hasn't sent the school a notice of allegations but compliance issues in the football program have been under scrutiny since August 2011. A former booster said dozens of Miami football players receive improper incentives, including cars and money.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Red Sox sign Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo for 7-year deal
2
Raiders LB Moore taken off field on stretcher
3
Fister, Nats eye 11th straight win in opener with Giants
4
2013-14 college football bowl results
5
COL BKB: Indiana 93, Iowa 86
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback