UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Ex-IU basketball player acquitted of attempted murder, other charges

  |
 
Published: Sept. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

INDIANAPOLIS, Sept. 18 (UPI) -- Ex-Indiana basketball player Devan Dumes was acquitted of charges he tried to kill an acquaintance and steal his car in an alleged row over a debt and drugs.

Israel Cruz, Dumes' attorney, said the former Hoosier was found not guilty Tuesday of attempted murder, attempted carjacking and stealing a gun because the jury didn't find testimony by the alleged victim, Keith Jones, credible, The Indianapolis Star reported Wednesday.

Dumes was accused of shooting Jones in the neck on Jan. 11 and trying to steal his car.

In his opening statement Monday, Cruz maintained Jones had threatened Dumes because he wanted Dumes to deliver cocaine to pay off a $225 debt.

"Keith Jones increasingly got mad, pulled out the gun, and Devan defended himself," Cruz said in his opening statement.

A forensic scientist testified the only DNA found on the gun belonged to Jones.

Dumes still faces a charge of possessing illegal drugs and an unlicensed handgun stemming from a July traffic stop.

He played the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons for Indiana after previously playing for Eastern Michigan and Vincennes universities.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: UConn forward Olander suspended indefinitely after DUI arrest
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional College Basketball Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Spiteful Obama blocks off view of Mt. Rushmore
Why do Americans have such large refrigerators?
Home Alone 2: Las Vegas. Nine-year-old boy hops a plane from the Twin Cities to Sin City without...
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...
8 killed and 79 critically injured after a Monster Truck veered into a crowd in Mexico on SUNDAY...
Always bring a ping pong paddle along with you if you're going to a pineapple knife fight