UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Maryland player claims wrongful dismissal by Xavier in alleged rape

  |
 
Published: Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

BALTIMORE, Aug. 21 (UPI) -- Maryland basketball player Dez Wells says he will sue Xavier University, which he claims wrongfully dismissed him after he was accused of rape in 2012.

Wells was never charged after an Ohio prosecutor said there was no basis for charges, The Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday.

The suit, which names the university and president the Rev. Michael J. Graham as defendants, claims Xavier failed to follow established school disciplinary policies in expelling him.

The university's conduct board "conducted a fundamentally unfair hearing and defamed Wells by publicly proclaiming him guilty of rape, materially as a result of Father Graham's irresponsible and reckless rush to judgment," the suit alleges.

In an e-mailed statement, Xavier defended its procedures, saying, the suit's claims were "unfounded and cannot be supported."

The university said the procedures that resulted in Wells' expulsion are "the standard used in all American universities."

Xavier added, "The university has never revealed the specific charge against Dez Wells other than to say he was found responsible for a violation of the Student Code of Conduct."

Wells transferred to the University of Maryland before last season and immediately became a starter.

Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney Joseph T. Deters, who declined to file charges against Wells, has said Wells had been involved in a game of "truth or dare" involving three females and three males that led up to the accusation. The accuser's "dare" had been to hold up her shirt, and she did so. She and Wells later had sex, which Deters described as "totally consensual until the very last seconds, and that's where their stories diverged,"

Topics: Hamilton County
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Baltimore hoops hero Devin Gray dead of heart attack at 41
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional College Basketball Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Spiteful Obama blocks off view of Mt. Rushmore
Why do Americans have such large refrigerators?
Home Alone 2: Las Vegas. Nine-year-old boy hops a plane from the Twin Cities to Sin City without...
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...
8 killed and 79 critically injured after a Monster Truck veered into a crowd in Mexico on SUNDAY...
Always bring a ping pong paddle along with you if you're going to a pineapple knife fight