UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Kentucky's Noel declares for NBA draft

  |
 
Published: April 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM

LEXINGTON, Ky., April 15 (UPI) -- Kentucky freshman Nerlens Noel, whose season was cut short by a knee injury, announced Monday he was entering the NBA draft.

Noel, a 6-foot-10 forward, played 24 games for Kentucky before he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. He averaged 10.5 points and led the SEC with 9.5 rebounds a game. His average of 4.4 blocks a game was the best in the country.

"I have loved my time at Kentucky but I feel that I'm ready to take the next step to the NBA," Noel said. "I've learned so much here at UK and am thankful for Coach (John) Calipari, the staff and my teammates for all of their support.

"I especially appreciate the Big Blue Nation and all of the support, prayers and well-wishes I've received from them during my rehab and decision-making process. I'll always be a Wildcat!"

Calipari said he supported Noel's decision t leave school.

"The hard work and will to win he showed on the floor this year and the dedication and attitude he has shown in his rehab will only be a reward for him and whatever team drafts him in June," Calipari said.

Kentucky, which won the 2012 NCAA Tournament but didn't earn a berth in 2013, has lost several high-profile freshmen to the NBA in recent years. John Wall was the No. 1 overall pick in 2010 and Anthony Davis went first last year. Noel is considered a possible No. 1 selection.

Topics: Anthony Davis, John Wall
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Michigan's Trey Burke declares eligibility for NBA draft
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional College Basketball Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Spiteful Obama blocks off view of Mt. Rushmore
Why do Americans have such large refrigerators?
Home Alone 2: Las Vegas. Nine-year-old boy hops a plane from the Twin Cities to Sin City without...
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...
8 killed and 79 critically injured after a Monster Truck veered into a crowd in Mexico on SUNDAY...
Always bring a ping pong paddle along with you if you're going to a pineapple knife fight