The warrant has been prepared, but has not yet been issued. Police discovered that Hernandez's security system and cell phone had been destroyed, which could have been evidence in the homicide of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.
Police searched Hernandez's home Thursday for the second time after reports that he destroyed the security system, and Hernandez's attorney handed over the cell phone, which was "in pieces."
Law enforcement determined that the two had been intentionally smashed. On Monday, Hernandez had his $13 million house scrubbed clean by a team of cleaners, arousing more police suspicion.
Surveillance video from a North Attleborough, Mass., neighborhood shows Hernandez with Lloyd and two other people hours before Lloyd was killed earlier this week.
"There's a federal statute in every state that you cannot knowingly destroy evidence. And what [authorities] believe has happened here is that the home surveillance system was destroyed, the cell phone was destroyed, the house was cleaned, and the police think there was evidence that was destroyed because of that," ESPN legal analyst Roger Cossack said.
Lloyd was found in a field close to Hernandez's home after being shot in the head. Lloyd had reportedly been dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend.
On Tuesday, police questioned Hernandez and was not believed to be a suspect in the crime. By Wednesday, investigators discovered a car linked to the homicide was rented under Hernandez's name. Police issued a search warrant for his home and came out with a cardboard box after searching for nearly three hours.
Reports Thursday said that Hernandez was directly tied to the homicide, but is not a suspect. He has not been ruled out as a potential suspect as the investigation moves forward, however. No suspects have yet been named.
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Julius Randle breaks leg during NBA debut