The Los Angeles Clippers have backed down on a deal to acquire the Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers.
The Clippers have no plans to continue talks as they move to hire a coach.
Danny Ainge confirms to the @BostonGlobe that the proposed Clippers-Celtics deal is, in fact, dead.— Baxter Holmes (@BaxterHolmes) June 18, 2013
Earlier this year, Celtics president Dan Ainge said the team wanted Rivers to return to coach the team next season. Rivers has been uneasy about rebuilding the Celtics, especially after public talks with the Clippers.
The Clippers would not continue with the deal after a proposal that asked for DeAndre Jordan, Garnett and two first-round draft picks. The impasse came with the Celtics' request for Eric Bledsoe, backup point guard, whom the Clippers did not want to lose.
The deal would have broken Rivers' contract with three years and $21 million remaining. Clippers point guard Chris Paul, who has been reported to have power over the hiring process, favors Rivers as the next coach.
"This was about the actual trade and not giving up too many assets," the source said.
Another source said he thinks both teams are posturing to claim more bargaining power than the other, and that the teams could make a deal that would benefit each other.
"They know if they don't do this, they're going to look bad," he said.
The Clippers have second interviews with Byron Scott on Tuesday and Brian Shaw on Wednesday. Lionel Hollins had a two-day interview last week. Owner Donald Sterling is predicted to hire a coach by early next week.