Chris Bosh blindsided by Miami Heat, vows to continue career

By The Sports Xchange   |   Oct. 2, 2016 at 3:48 PM
| License Photo

Chris Bosh fired back at the Miami Heat and president Pat Riley, who said earlier this week that he believes the star power forward has played his final game for the team.

Bosh claims the Heat did not inform him that he failed the team's physical last week before putting out a news release.

"I didn't see my career in Miami ending like this," Bosh said Friday in his ongoing video series on the Uninterrupted digital network. "I didn't get a call or a text or anything like that. I mean, it's a business. We understand that. We always say those things. But if you say certain things to the person and you win championships and you have these moments, you don't want to find things out through the media.

"It's kind of tough. We say all these things, the commitment, brotherhood and all these things. And then, for whatever reason, you find out, or I find out like this. So, it hurts."

A Heat spokesman told ESPN that the team was unable to reach Bosh after calling, emailing and texting him before putting out the statement.

Riley told reporters Monday the team is no longer working toward Bosh's return -- an hour before the Heat opened training camp with their media day at AmericanAirlines Arena.

Bosh has missed the second half of the past two seasons due to blood clots and then failed the Heat preseason physical days before Riley's announcement.

The 32-year-old Bosh is promising to continue his career away from the Heat.

"I guess my career in Miami's done. My career's not done," Bosh said Friday in the video. "There's 29 other teams, it's a whole league. One team does not make up the opinion of everything."

If the medical issue keep Bosh out of action for good, he would be paid the remainder of his contract -- three years and $76 million guaranteed until 2018-19. He averaged 19.1 points and 7.4 rebounds in 53 games last season before the second bout with clots began in February.

According to ESPN, the only way Bosh could become a free agent now would be for the team to release him, which is unlikely unless Bosh would be willing to negotiate a buyout of his contract in which he accepts significantly less money.

"I want to tell Miami, everybody in Miami, this is not how I planned it to be," Bosh said in the video that included his wife, Adrienne, reading Riley's statement on Monday to her husband. "They don't want to hear Dwyane (Wade) is gone. They don't want to hear, 'Oh, yeah, Chris is never going to play for the Miami Heat again.' I just feel for the fans. I wanted to give them more. I wanted to give them something better. Because they deserve better than what they're getting right now."

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more news from UPI.com
Related UPI Stories
share with facebook
share with twitter
Trending Stories