facebook
twitter
search
search

Chargers will stay in San Diego in 2016

By The Sports Xchange   |   Jan. 30, 2016 at 12:21 AM
1 of 3
| License Photo

The San Diego Chargers have decided to remain in San Diego for the 2016 season and will make another attempt to land a new stadium, team owner Dean Spanos announced on Friday.

The announcement came shortly after the Chargers reached an agreement in principle to share the proposed football stadium in Inglewood with the Los Angeles Rams.

The Chargers now have until Jan. 15, 2017 to decide whether or not to move the franchise to Los Angeles. The team purchased land for team headquarters and a practice facility in Orange County earlier this week.

However, Spanos said in a statement that his intention is to work toward remaining in San Diego for the long term and finding a stadium solution.

"I have met with Mayor (Kevin) Faulconer and (County) Supervisor (Ron) Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma," Spanos said. "We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.

"This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve."

Spanos said he is moving forward "with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility" in terms of solving the situation in San Diego.

Negotiations were contentious in recent years and the Chargers were viewed as stalling the process this past season. The team was hoping to be approved to share a new stadium in the Los Angeles suburb of Carson with the Oakland Raiders, but NFL owners instead approved the Rams' venture in Inglewood.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell applauded the decision by Spanos.

"We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos to continue his efforts in San Diego and work with local leaders to develop a permanent stadium solution," Goodell said. "NFL ownership has committed $300 million to assist in the cost of building a new stadium in San Diego. I have pledged the league's full support in helping Dean to fulfill his goal."

The Rams moved from St. Louis earlier this month. If the Chargers decline to move to Los Angeles, the Oakland Raiders will receive a one-year window to pursue a move to Los Angeles.

"The Los Angeles Rams have reached an agreement with the San Diego Chargers to join us in the new Inglewood Stadium, if they choose to exercise their option to relocate within the next year," Rams owner Stan Kroenke said. "We look forward to partnering with the Chargers in Inglewood, but the decision of course is Dean's to make."

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories