SAN DIEGO, Jan. 29 (UPI) -- The NFL's San Diego Chargers aren't going anywhere for at least a year.
The team announced Friday that it has decided to play in San Diego for the 2016 season -- a prospect that has been uncertain for weeks as the club had been considering a move to Los Angeles.
Earlier this month, NFL team owners overwhelmingly approved the team's proposal to move north, where they would join the newly-minted Los Angeles Rams. The Chargers were given some time to make up their mind about future plans, and Friday they came to a conclusion -- albeit a short-term conclusion.
Team owner Dean Spanos announced the decision in a letter to fans Friday.
"Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium," he wrote. "We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego."
After the owners' votes, the Rams immediately took up the offer to move to Los Angeles. They will play in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum while a permanent stadium is constructed. San Diego was given the opportunity by the NFL to join the Rams in building the facility.
"We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos to continue his efforts in San Diego and work with local leaders to develop a permanent stadium solution," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement Friday.
"I'm fired up, as I know the guys will be in that building," Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers said. "Hopefully the fans are as fired up as we are. We get at least one more go out at Qualcomm and in San Diego. It is exciting news."
The Oakland Raiders, who have also been considering a move out of the Bay Area, could also end up in Los Angeles if the Chargers ultimately decide to remain in San Diego. The Raiders are also reportedly looking at potential moves to Las Vegas or San Antonio.
The Rams played in Los Angeles from 1946-1994, the Raiders from 1982-1994, and the Chargers during its inaugural season in 1961.