facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Metrodome demolition halted when beam falls out of sequence

Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM   |   Comments

MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Demolition of the Metrodome in Minneapolis was stopped Monday afternoon when a beam fell unexpectedly, project officials said.

The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune reported no one was hurt in the 1 p.m. CST incident.

Workers for a subcontractor, Frattalone, were taking down a section of one beam when another beam next to it crashed down out of sequence. The demolition work was halted until it could be determined what went wrong, the newspaper said.

A Mortenson Construction spokesman said it was possible the tear-down could resume yet this week.

Demolition of the 32-year-old stadium where the Minnesota Vikings and Twins played began last month to clear the site for a new $1 billion Vikings stadium. The Twins moved to their own Target Field in 2010.

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
UPI Sports Schedule for Saturday, October 25
2
UPI Sports Results for October 24, 2014 UPI Sports Results for October 24, 2014
3
World Series Game Summary - Kansas City at San Francisco
4
NCAA Game Summary - Central Michigan at Buffalo
5
NCAA Game Summary - Michigan at Michigan State
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback