facebook
twitter
search
search

Metrodome demolition halted when beam falls out of sequence

Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Demolition of the Metrodome in Minneapolis was stopped Monday afternoon when a beam fell unexpectedly, project officials said.

The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune reported no one was hurt in the 1 p.m. CST incident.

Workers for a subcontractor, Frattalone, were taking down a section of one beam when another beam next to it crashed down out of sequence. The demolition work was halted until it could be determined what went wrong, the newspaper said.

A Mortenson Construction spokesman said it was possible the tear-down could resume yet this week.

Demolition of the 32-year-old stadium where the Minnesota Vikings and Twins played began last month to clear the site for a new $1 billion Vikings stadium. The Twins moved to their own Target Field in 2010.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
FSU dismisses QB after video shows him hitting woman
Tennessee Titans QB Mariota remains unsigned
Chicago Blackhawks trade G Nilsson to Edmonton Oilers for F Coughlin
VIDEO: Florida State's Johnson punches woman in face
Keuchel, Tucker lead Houston Astros past Cleveland Indians