facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Metrodome demolition halted when beam falls out of sequence

Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM   |   Comments

MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Demolition of the Metrodome in Minneapolis was stopped Monday afternoon when a beam fell unexpectedly, project officials said.

The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune reported no one was hurt in the 1 p.m. CST incident.

Workers for a subcontractor, Frattalone, were taking down a section of one beam when another beam next to it crashed down out of sequence. The demolition work was halted until it could be determined what went wrong, the newspaper said.

A Mortenson Construction spokesman said it was possible the tear-down could resume yet this week.

Demolition of the 32-year-old stadium where the Minnesota Vikings and Twins played began last month to clear the site for a new $1 billion Vikings stadium. The Twins moved to their own Target Field in 2010.

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Rob Bironas allegedly chased, threatened students before fatal crash Rob Bironas allegedly chased, threatened students before fatal crash
2
James Harrison returns to Pittsburg Steelers after 3-week retirement James Harrison returns to Pittsburg Steelers after 3-week retirement
3
Caroline Wozniacki says she doesn't play tennis for the money Caroline Wozniacki says she doesn't play tennis for the money
4
UPI horse racing roundup UPI horse racing roundup
5
Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti denies coverup in response to ESPN report Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti denies coverup in response to ESPN report
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback