A mix of rain, snow and fog was in the forecast for Cortina D'Ampezzo, prompting a unanimous decision by the race jury to move the big race to Sunday.
The new plan calls for the downhill to take place Sunday, instead of the super G that was on the original schedule. Cortina will host the super G plus another downhill next weekend.
Heavy snow Friday forced cancellation of downhill training for the women.
An inspection of the course revealed the conditions to be "unstable," the U.S. Ski Association said in a written statement.
"Everything was done that was possible but we don't feel comfortable about the situation," race director Atle Skaardal said. "The course condition will not allow us to do any super G in any case. We have to try and find a realistic plan and see if we can do something tomorrow. The weather is going to be really bad now this afternoon and tonight again with continuous snowfall until Tuesday morning."
Ray Liotta sues skin care company over use of likeness
Millions of Getty images now available for free via embed tool