The update is the final one before the year's first major tournament begins next week -- the Australian Open in Melbourne.
Serena Williams is a lock to be seeded first. She's No. 1 in the rankings with a very healthy 5,109-point lead over No. 2-ranked Victoria Azarenka. Williams beat Azarenka, who is the defending Australian Open champion, in Saturday's title match at the Brisbane International.
Williams defeated Sharapova in the semifinals in Brisbane but Sharapova still moves from fourth to third in the rankings. Li's win at the Shenzhen Open in China wasn't enough to support her place in the rankings and she drops a spot to fourth. It is the only change in the WTA Top 10 this week.
The third title last week went to Ana Ivanovic at the ASB Classic. Ivanovic moves up two places to 16th in the rankings. Venus Williams, who went against Ivanovic in the ASB Classic final, improves nine places to 38th this week.
The WTA Top 10, listing player's name, home country and rankings points:
1. Serena Williams, United States, 13,260
2. Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, 8,151
3. Maria Sharapova, Russia, 6,076
4. Li Na, China, 6,045
5. Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland, 5820
6. Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic, 4,775
7. Sara Errani, Italy, 4,435
8. Jelena Jankovic, Serbia, 4,230
9. Angelique Kerber, Germany, 3,965
10. Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark, 3,520
Former Titans kicker dies in car crash
UPI Sports Results for September 20, 2014