facebook
twitter
search
search

Nalbandian announces retirement from ATP

Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM
| License Photo

BUENOS AIRES, Oct. 2 (UPI) -- David Nalbandian, who was ranked as high as No. 3 in the world, has announced his retirement from the ATP World Tour.

Nalbandian, 31 from Argentina, said a shoulder injury led to his decision to withdraw from competitive tennis.

"I can play matches but my shoulder won't let me continue my career," he said at a news conference Monday in Buenos Aires. "I can't play like that at a [professional] level.

"It's tough because I have to announce my retirement from the sport that gave me so much. I'm very grateful."

Nalbandian won 11 ATP tournaments in his career and reached a No. 3 ranking in March 2006. His most recent title came in August 2010 at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington. He's been in three finals since then, including a lose to Rafael Nadal in the title match at the Brazil Open in February.

He played in the finals at Wimbledon in 2002, losing to Lleyton Hewitt, and was a Grand Slam semifinalist four other times.

Nalbandian helped Argentina reached the Davis Cup finals in 2004, '08 and '11 but finished as the runner-up each time.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Electronics certification company makes hoverboard burst into flames
Eli Manning explains pout after Denver Broncos' Super Bowl score
Duke's Grayson Allen trips Louisville player
Nicola Griffin to appear in Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue at 56
Larry Sanders considering NBA comeback