UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Sports News

LA DA: Not enough evidence to charge Pippen in attack

  |
 
Published: Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:13 AM

MALIBU, Calif., Aug. 28 (UPI) -- Los Angeles officials said there is not enough evidence to charge former Chicago Bulls player Scottie Pippen for an altercation that left a man unconscious. 

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office said it won't prosecute Pippen because it can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt Pippen is guilty of a crime in the June incident at a restaurant in Malibu, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

Pippen, 47, was dining at Nobu restaurant with his wife, children, two brothers and mother-in-law when a fan, Camran Shafighi, approached him for a photo. Pippen agreed to have his photograph taken, but declined posing with the man, prosecutors said in a statement.

As Pippen and his family left the restaurant, Shafighi, approached Pippen again, cursing and spitting at the basketball star. Prosecutors said Pippen spat back and pushed Shafighi away.

Shafighi allegedly attempted to kick Pippen, who allegedly kicked and punched the man in return, witnesses said.

Prosecutor William Ryder said Pippen's pushing was "justifiable and the spitting is unprosecutable." He said evidence was insufficient because Shafighi was drunk, lacked physical injuries -- though he had been hospitalized with a concussion -- and the witnesses' description of the blows was inadequate.

Shafighi sued Pippen for $4 million for what he called a "brutal and unjustified physical attack," the Times said.

Pippen, 47, was a seven-time all-star and won six NBA championships with the Chicago Bulls. He also played for Houston and Portland during an NBA career that stretched from 1987 to 2004.

Topics: Scottie Pippen
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Sports News Stories
Video
1 of 16
2013 Presidents Cup played at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio
View Caption
Former U.S. President George W. Bush (C) points to the crowd as he stands on the first tee box at the 2013 Presidents Cup at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio on October 3, 2013. UPI/Brian Kersey
fark
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...
Brazilian election shaping up to be a three-way race between the Socialist Party, Workers' Party,...
Photoshop this red spot